The original settler and builder of the now Meyer House was farmer/banker Christian Hess. It is speculated that the house was built in the 1860’s and subsequently torn down and moved 75 – 80 feet up the hill due to flooding. The second house was much larger than the first. There are signs that the bricks were recycled into the new house that was built in 1882. The bricks were made on the property from the clay rich soil.
Christian Hess had six sons and two daughters. The house was passed on to the next generation of the family, specifically, Martin and Jane Hess. Later Jane Hess left the house to her daughter Jenny Hess Borne. In 1932 the 98-acre farm was leased to the Ralph and Lucile Wolf, who subsequently purchased it in 1941. They had three children , Gayle, Mary and Faye. The house had five bedrooms, four upstairs and one downstairs. In the 1940’s, they renovated converting the dining room to the kitchen, changing the parlor to a bedroom, and adding a bathroom with plumbing,. The house remained in the Wolf family until 1981 when it was sold to Bob Teft, of Cleveland, who used it as a real estate investment.
In 1992 Interstate Sign Company purchased the property for the rights of the billboard which is situated on the property next to the barn. After being on the market for a lengthy period of time (1993 to 1996), Dan Meyer, a mason contractor, purchased the 28-acre farm in 1996 and seized the opportunity to save an old brick house with a “lot of character and good bones” which had fallen into disrepair. He immediately stabilized the roof and barn foundation to ensure no further damage. He re-met Terri Simpson at their 20 year high school reunion in August of 1999. A major renovation was started a year later.
Together on Thanksgiving Day in November 2000, they started taking out the deteriorated plaster from the now master bedroom. It took approximately one month to gut the entire house down to the brick. After lengthy discussions and contemplation about restoration, it was decided to reconfigure the entire house to make it practical to today’s standards. The old summer kitchen was torn off (the brick was recycled and additional brick was used from a house located up the road which was being razed) to make room for a larger kitchen and garage. The old kitchen was converted back to a dining room. The staircase to the basement was blocked off and converted to a half bath, the entire upstairs which once housed 4 bedrooms and a large attic was made into a master suite with vaulted ceilings. The interior renovation took 16 months.
Since the first stages of the initial renovation many improvement have been made. A pond was dug to house the geo-thermal heating system of the house in 2001. The Meyer’s moved in March 18, 2002 and were married June 12, 2002. A wrap-around porch was completed June 12, 2004, (an anniversary present to Terri) to replace the small Victorian one. The conservatory which is located in the pond was completed August 2004 just in time for a 25th high school reunion party. The milk house was turned into a garden shed, the basement was finished to make room for a new home office in October 2005, two stone bridges have been built, several sidewalks and patios have been installed using 100 year old paving bricks from the streets of Ashland. Also a studio space was created for Terri Meyer to conduct her business. A formal courtyard off the kitchen was completed in 2007. The barn lean-to was enclosed in 2009 to expand Terri’s artist gallery and serves as an office for Dan Meyer’s Masonry business. In 2010 and 2011, 4500 hardwood and pine trees were planted in the fields surrounding the house to create privacy around the house and provide refuge for wildlife.
In 2012-13, her husband added a sculpting space so she can continue refining her skills in 3 dimensional figurative work.
In 2013 through 2015, the upper barn renovation project came to fruition.